Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme 2010/2011 (LExS)
For whom? 1. Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting September 2010 or February 2011 ( All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden).
2. All nationalities enrolling in the following programmes starting September 2010 or February 2011:
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air and Space Law
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European and International Business Law
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
– Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law
– MA in International Relations and Diplomacy
1. In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enroll. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad
2. The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”; more information)
3. Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree
4. Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions (pdf) attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has 5 awards:
Platinum Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee* and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs
Gold Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee*
Silver Covers 75% of the tuition fee
Bronze Covers 50% of the tuition fee
Ivory Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
* The tuition fee will be reduced to the amount of the home fee. Students who have been awarded a Platinum or Gold award still have to pay the home fee themselves.
Application procedure for September 2010 / February 2011 intake:
STEP PROCEDURE DEADLINE
Fill in your online application for admission to Leiden University
1 April 2010 for programmes starting in September 2010.
1 October 2010 for programmes starting in February 2011 (the sooner the better)
B Upload all necessary documents
C Indicate clearly that you would like to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page
D Upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page
E Submit your online application
F Pay the application fee
All LExS applicants will be informed by the scholarship department of the International Office. The end of April 2010 for September 2010 intake.**
Mid November 2010 for the February 2011 intake.
**Please note: The LExS decisions has been postponed due to administrative difficulties. We expect to be able to communicate the decisions either in the week of 10 May or of 17 May at the latest. On behalf of the LExS Selection Committee, our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Letter of motivation
To apply for the scholarship, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on the scholarship page in your online application for the master’s programmes for which you are applying.
It is possible to submit applications for more scholarship programmes simultaneously. However, it is not possible to obtain more than 1 scholarship from Leiden University for the same study programme.
If you have already submitted your online application for admission to Leiden University, but would still like to apply for the LExS scholarship, we kindly request you to submit the LExS motivation letter to the Scholarships department.
Selection process: A Faculty selection committee will review the applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit.