Who can apply?
Vietnamese nationals wishing to undertake post-graduate study or research at a UK university or institute of higher education. Individuals from all over Vietnam and officials from Government Ministries, the Communist Party, the National Assembly, Provincial People’s Committees, the legal/law enforcement professions, mass organisations, non-governmental and civil society groups, and the media are all encouraged to apply.
How long is the scholarship for?
From three to twelve months
How about the level of eligible courses?
Courses are usually at Masters level
Preference will be given to courses that contribute to the UK’s global foreign policy objectives. In Vietnam, these are:
• Tackling terrorism and weapons proliferation and their causes
• Preventing and resolving conflict (including issues of governance, human rights and the rule of law)
• Promoting a low carbon, high growth global economy
• Developing effective international institutions
• Supporting the British economy and business
• Suppoting British Nationals overseas
• Supporting managed migration for Britain
|Economics||Political Science||Development Studies|
|Public Administration||International Security||International Relations|
|Law/Criminal Justice Studies||Human Rights/Democracy||Journalism|
|Finance & Banking||Business Studies||Environmental Studies/Engineering|
This list is not exhaustive and applications for scholarships in other subjects will be considered.
What are the eligibility and selection criteria?
- The programme is open to Vietnamese citizens only
- Candidates should have a good academic record. Only candidates with an “excellent” (gioi or xuat sac) or “very good” (kha) first degree will be considered.
- Candidates should show potential to rise to a high level in their careers and to contribute to the wider development of Vietnam.
- preferably at least 2 years working experience
- There are no minimum or maximum age limits for the scholarships, provided the other application criteria are met.
- Candidates must already have a high standard of English in order to enable them to cope with post-graduate study in the UK. This means an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of at least 6.5 (TOEFL equivalent 600).
- Having an unconditional offer from a UK university for the academic year of 2010-2011 will be an advantage.
What will the scholarship cover?
We will offer full scholarships and partial scholarships
Full scholarships include:
- Visa UK fees
- Return air-ticket to the UK
- Academic fees (for course at any UK university not exceeding £ 10,000 per year) and
- Monthly stipend and allowances
Partial scholarships require the scholar to make a substantial personal contribution.
- Selection will strictly be on merit
- Candidates must complete an online Chevening application form. Hard copy is not accepted.
- Chevening Scholarships are not intended for those planning to follow a career solely in specialist research or the teaching profession
- Candidates must undertake to return to Vietnam once the course, or any reasonable extension of the course, has been completed.
Indicative timeline for applications 2010/11
|23 November 2009||Deadline for applications|
|11 January 2010||Shortlisted candidates contacted for interviews|
|1 – 9 March 2010||Provision date for Interviews|
|April 2010||Successful candidates notified|
How to apply
From 2009/10 recruitement round, we are rolling out an online Chevening Scholarship Application.
Please click on this link to have a full guidance and apply for access to complete the application.
Candidate must submit the E-Chevening application form online before 17.00 on 23 November 2009.
If you are shortlisted for an interview you will need to submit hard copies of the following papers to British Council Hanoi:
- Certified true copies of University degree certificate, academic transcripts
- an IELTS or TOEFL certificate
- Two reference letters ( academic and/or professional)
- Completed medical declaration form
- A copy of an Offer letter from an UK university ( if available)